May 9, 2015
Misconceptions about Vastu, the Design System from Ancient India
1. Vastu is NOT the same as Feng Shui. In fact, it is thousands of years older and part of the origin of Feng Shui. Even many websites from India purporting to give Vastu knowledge are simply repackaging Feng Shui as Vastu. There is much wrong information about Vastu Shastra. To learn what Vastu really is, read this Vastu page on my website .
2. Mirrors are NOT used in Vastu as they are in Feng Shui. Since Vastu is based on the laws of nature—in other words, the laws of physics— keep in mind that anything that goes into a mirror bounces back to the “sender” of the image or energy. So, for example, Vastu would never recommend placing a mirror just inside your home across from the entry, since this would keep energy from entering.
3. Vastu is NOT superstition, although some websites claiming to give Vastu tips spread a lot of ideas that are clearly superstitious nonsense. Superstition arises when knowledge is distorted or misunderstood. When in doubt, do some research. I offer authentic, useful Vastu information and courses here on my website.
4. The Feng Shui bagua canNOT be equated with Vastu, even though some people have tried to do this. These Asian traditions of sacred space and design are two different systems. Attempts to conflate them will bring mistakes in interpretation and advice. Learn more about the differences and similarities of Vastu, Feng Shui, Wabi Sabi, and Wu Wei.
Vastu design does NOT mean you have to use furniture and textiles from India in your home, especially if you do not like them! Vastu is NOT a style of interior design. Your home can be Zen or frilly, bohemian or French provencial. It’s up to you to apply your own aesthetic.
6. Feng Shui cures are NOT necessarily Vastu cures. Some Feng Shui guidelines violate the laws of nature and are not 100% beneficial. Be wary of blending the two systems. Some of this will not work. Anything you do will carry potency if you put your intention behind it. Why not put your intention behind a system that is 100% in accord with the laws of nature, so that you are in accord with the laws of nature instead of violating them? To do that, use Vastu for your home.
Beyond misconceptions: Most people have never even heard of Vastu, even if they meditate or practice yoga, get Vedic Astrology (Jyotish) readings or follow Ayurvedic health advice. Vastu is a sister science to all of these valuable fields of knowledge. It’s the original green, sustainable design. To study Vastu, take my Vastu Courses Levels 1, 2, and 3. Learn about Vastu without misconceptions, only authentic, useful information that will improve the quality of your life.
Learn about expert Vastu design consultations and hire Vastu expert Sherri Silverman, PhD, who has been a professional Vastu consultant since 1999 and is the author of the acclaimed book Vastu: Transcendental Home Design in Harmony with Nature. Since it is temporarily out of print while I choose a new publlisher, you can also purchase a PDF of the complete book with illustrations and diagrams as part of my Level 1 Vastu course.